Monday, October 13, 2008

Installing SqueezeCenter

Running SqueezeCenter to feed the Squeezebox music player is my old server's main duty. So it's first up for installation on my new fit-PC.

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to add
deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install squeezecenter
The web interface is not available from my laptop until I restart the box (something to do with apparmor?). On restart, I can access the web interface fine.

SqueezeCenter installs mysql (unless you have it already) and SqueezeCenter then runs its own mysql instance, in addition to the default one. I don't want two mysql instances running on my little server, so I'll disable the default one for now:
$ cd /etc/rc2.d
$ cat README
$ sudo mv S18mysql-ndb K82mysql-ndb
$ sudo mv S19mysql K81mysql
$ sudo mv S17mysql-ndb-mgm K83mysql-ndb-mgm
Alternative would be to get squeezecenter to use the default mysql instance instead, and disable the dedicated squeezecenter one. Supposed to be possible. I'll try that whenever I end up with some other application which needs mysql.

1 comment:

  1. Thankyou - good to find this.

    The only change I made was;

    sudo apt-get install squeezeboxserver

    because of upgrades to the software for my Squeezebox.

    regards

    stevo

    ReplyDelete